Friday, March 16, 2012

Breakfast

Dear Breakfast,
Just a little note to tell you how much you mean to me.  I'm sorry about all those years I thought I didn't need you.  I didn't really mean it, and I was wrong.  Even in high school when I insisted you made me sick, I think it was really because I was staying up until 3AM on AIM and running on no sleep- but that is another story.  I didn't mean to abuse you either with donuts and cereal, its just that I didn't know you had so much to offer.  Anyway, I'm glad we're okay again.  I don't know what I would do without you.  And don't tell lunch and dinner, but you're my favorite.

Laura
hot-cereal.jpg
via
I can't take the cred for this photo, but its the closest thing to what I have almost every morning.  I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and this actually satisfies sugar cravings throughout the day.  Cereal is my favorite treat, but I've cut it out the past year and replaced it with my own version*:

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chooped walnuts
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup flax seeds

Thats it.  I go to Whole Foods and scoop it myself into a bag using just my eyes for judgment.  I keep it in a container at home, and measure 3/4 cups of the mix into a bowl, add unsweetened almond milk and a huge helping of blueberries.  Sometimes a drizzle of honey if I'm feeling crazy!  Breakfast should always be complete with protein, fiber, healthy fats and fruit (I say so).  SO the oats are the fiber, walnuts and almonds are protein, and flax seeds are healthy fats, with the obvious blueberries as fruits.  I could bore you to death with health reasons of why I picked these specific nuts and ingredients, but that is what Google is for.  And stealing other people's pictures (don't worry, credit due). This is my favorite breakfast the past month, and I'm sure Whole Foods has had to double their blueberry orders because I must have gone through 20 cases.  You're welcome Whole Foods, I am your slave.



Happiness Means...
1.  I stayed home sick from work yesterday, but I managed to knock out some awesome new recipes and catch up on Bethenny Frankel.  Equally important.
2.  My roommate got me a ticket for the Hunger Games premiere next weekend and I CAN'T WAIT.
3.  Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.  Came out more like biscuits, but whatevs.  Then they are chocolate chip biscuits.
4.  This 80 degree weather is playing tricks on me.  Spring, where are you?
5.  A free Saturday to do nothing tomorrow :)

Goal:  One biscuit a day.

*To be enjoyed with Matt Lauer in your underwear every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment