Friday, November 4, 2011

"Heaven Is Now Infinitely Better"


This is what my boyfriend's dad sent me in the sweetest message I could have asked for. My grandma passed away this morning. She passed away quietly and painlessly in her sleep, and my poor grandfather didn't even realize until he tried waking her in the morning. She had been suffering from dementia the past couple of years, and although she was not physically in pain (for the most part), I'm glad her mind is finally at peace. I was trying to remember the last time I saw her, and it was late in August when boy and I were home for a weekend. We cooked my grandparents frozen shrimp (blasphemy) with Old Bay and you would have thought we made a 5 course meal with creme brulee. I think they were looking for an excuse to keep us around a little longer, but it was nice just to sit with them. No matter how old I am, I always feel like the little girl that used to sit on their couch and eat Pop-pop's famous grilled cheese and watch golf pretending to understand what was going on. Grandma would always make the BEST apple and peanut butter snacks, which were exactly that- except she knew exactly how I liked my apples cut and exactly how to arrange the slices and how much peanut butter. Grandma always did hate cooking and baking, and getting her to make pumpkin pie every year for Thanksgiving meant pre-made crust and a simple can filling (still the best way to have it). I'll miss her every day. And I'll miss that pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I love you Grandmom Rose.

P.S. - Not a great picture of anyone in the above photo, but my Pop-pop was trying to fit into his Christmas present Steelers sweatshirt and essentially got stuck. I've never heard my grandmom laugh so hard. Still makes me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment