Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer on a Plate


This is my favorite cookbook. Growing up, my mom always made the basic family dinners... chicken and rice, steak and potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs, the 500 versions of meatloaf, pizza (takeout obviously- When I'm 30 years old and have two children asking for pizza on a Friday night, my chic whole wheat homemade pizza dough pizza with roma tomatoes and feta cheese won't stand a chance against Papa Johns- we can't all be Gwyenth Paltrow with personal fire pits in our backyards and children with a preference for tofu nuggets over dinosaur bites). I digress. This was the only cookbook she occassionally turned to before the great world of the Food Network invaded our kitchen with dozens of cookbooks to come. To this day, she still uses it more than any other cookbook especially in the summer, and this is the greatest meal of all time:

Beach Street Cajun Shrimp and Lemon Linguini.

Now I am actually not a huge pasta person. Hahaha. Ok thats a lie. But seriously, given the choice between pasta and meat I would always choose meat (more specifically my beloved seafood). My carb preferences are found in the most processed forms: fries, chips, and most of all good hot bread with dipping oil. When it comes to pasta, I always prefer the sauce or the topping. I'd rather have good bread to sop it up with. However, this is the most incredible pasta dish of all time. I'm not kidding you people. It is the most refreshing summer meal, and the most comforting reminder of summer when snow is on the ground. I requested this meal every time I had a bad day at school, every time track practice was freezing to the bone, every time I wanted a taste of sunshine. I never made it until last week, mostly because I was scared I couldn't do it exactly how my mom had prepared it, but I must say, I nailed it. And although I didn't even make it tonight, it's all I can think about at midnight, lying in bed, resisting the temptation to get out of bed and thaw my frozen shrimp immediately. I think I'll wait til tomorrow...

Happiness Means...
1. McDonalds. Love/hate. If you don't like McDonalds, I am willing to bet you actually mean to say "If McDonalds were healthy for me I'd eat that shit morning, noon and night, but by publicly denouncing it and avoiding it all costs because fast food is poison to my body, I am slowly trying to trick my brain into disliking it. Yes, in fact, I hate fast food. Fresh food is just so much more delicious!" God, the amount of money I would pay for doctors to invent a pill that magically gives you the same nutrients from fast food as a goddamn salad. Then I'd like to hear from all these fast-food naysayers. Ok, off my soap box. Sidenote: I have practiced the whole "ew fast food!" mind thoughts. No dice.

2. Sleeping in my own bed. I had an AWFUL sleep last night with boy. We switched sides and for some reason it threw everything off. Isn't that weird? Never again.
3. My mom. I haven't talked to her in awhile, but she's the best. I'll call her tomorrow.
4. Working with people I like. Of course there are some people I don't like, just like everyone. But there are a select few (ok so two really) who are like family. I spent most of my morning today just chatting about things going on in my life, in the world... great way to start the day. Grateful for these people.
5. Gypsy Weddings! For real, have you guys seen this show?? It is unbelievable these people exist! Boy and I wasted three hours learning about this last night. Check it out. Seriously now.


Goal:
Goal for everyone else is to buy this book and see this show

1 comment:

  1. ewww tofu nuggets make me want to throw up. i'm 20 but still prefer the dino ones...is that bad?! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete