Wednesday, May 18, 2011
This is what I can look forward to coming home to. Every day. I just moved this past week into a residential neighborhood in Washington, DC. I've lived about five miles away in an apartment for two years, so even though its not too far it feels like a million miles away. My old apartment was a 12 story building, pretty large, with an incredible view of DC even though it was in Virginia (just a stone's throw from Georgetown, DC). Although I practically lived in DC, I couldn't help but be envious of everyone who got to put Washington, DC down as their permanent address. I moved into a duplex/apartment home with one of my best friends I met in DC when I moved two years ago. Its a living room/kitchen with two bedrooms and a bathroom which is just enough space for the two of us. Although I'm not settled yet, it already feels like home. It's SO NICE to wake up every morning to sunshine and trees and birds chirping, you would never know the city is a mile away. I'm loving the neighborhood, and my evening runs are so exciting when there are so many families always out and about with their pets and children. What's great about this neighborhood is its actually mostly kids my age from about 25 to 30... lots of post grad students and young couples. My boyfriend now conveniently is three blocks away and the bars we frequent are about five. I'm in heaven in my new home. Happy Wednesday :)
1. My morning calls to my mom on my way to work. This is a great time to catch up because it starts my day nicely to hear what I'm missing at home and to fill her in on my hectic life. I actually hate talking on the phone so its also nice its a short ten minutes haha
That's my sister, my mom and me
2. Filet Mignon. Holy cow (har har). Boy grilled this for dinner last night and it was the best steak I have ever had, hands down. He said he grabbed it because ti was on sale, but I'm not sure I can ever enjoy another cut of steak again without comparing it to last nights.
3. Coming home to someone you enjoy talking with! Its so nice to come home to a best friend and chit chat about the day. I missed that living in my apartment, and I finally am living with a best friend again.
4. Blackberry BBMs, without which I couldn't remind my cousin how much I love and miss her. Seriously our BBMs are borderline creepy but its always nice to hear from her.
5. Cheesecake bars. Seriously amazing! I got these beauties as a welcome gift from our new neighbors. Officially love them.
Goal - Not die on May 21. Seriously people, do you really think the world is ending this weekend? And if so, who cares we're all doomed together!
Posted by Laura J at 4:12 PM
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Lobsters have been on my mind a lot recently. Mostly because i just got back from Florida and could be mistaken for the fiery red crustacean were it not for the hair on my head and lack of claws. I have never been so burned in my entire life. My legs and arms were so swollen you couldn't see any bone definition, and even putting my arms at rest stretched my skin so tight it hurt to lift anything. GAH. Lesson learned: SPF 15 is no good if you're laying out for the first time in the bright sunshine for eight hours straight. Today is five days since the burn and the layers of skin are peeling off everywhere. So now I look like a lobster with leprosy. Fantastic. Anyway, I love all things lobster except resembling one. Here are some of my favorite lobster things...
Tory Burch Lobster expadrilles - too cute!
My favorite place to eat seafood at home, on the back porch with a bib tucked in my shirt and a pitcher of beer. Can't WAIT
Lobster Invitations by Kate Spade
I love all lobster rolls. Yes, even the ones they sell in Maine from McDonalds. Amaaaaazing
Lobster Kit by J. Crew
1. My sister graduates on Saturday so I get to see my whole family for the afternoon!
2. Easter Candy is STILL on sale which means I can get my crak cocaine jelly beans for half price. Whooppeeeeee
3. Aloe. Yup.
4. This shower curtain that I just bought because my roommate moved out taking the shower curtain, and I didn't notice until I went to take a shower before work...
5. Bethenny Frankel. She kills me... her reality show is a guilty pleasure and she makes a mean skinny margarita!
Goal: Graduation present for Annie and birthday present for Ralphie
Posted by Laura J at 12:55 PM
Thursday, May 5, 2011
There is nothing I love more on this earth than margaritas, chips and salsa. I kid you not, if I had to survive off one thing the rest of my life those would be it (healthy, right?). If I were on death row and I had a last meal, I would ask for a bottomless bowl of chips and salsa, endless salt-rimmed margaritas on the rocks and a side of guacamole. Every year for my birthday my request is Mexican, and I only order a platter because bingeing off chips alone is probably not the most well balanced meal. Actually, I just remember I had pasta for dinner last night, but before it was ready I had a nice appetizer of tostitos chips. Ok, so you get it... i like mexican shit. SO imagine my excitement when Cinco de Mayo rolls around! WOOOOOOOOOO lets drink and eat chippies!!! However, I can't celebrate tonight because I have something even MORE exciting than today- I'll be on the beach tomorrow in Fort Lauderdale!! So even though I'm a wee bit bummed I'm missing out on my favorite holiday of the year, I get to play Cinco de Mayo for the next four days with boy, and instead of in the city, it will be on the beach. Viva la Mexico! Or Fort Laudy Daudy....
1. My new house I'm moving into with one of my best friends next weekend!!
2. Being able to go on my first vacation ever with boy
3. My new weekend job working weddings. I've finally started my dream job :)
4. Boy's family, who treat me like I'm part of theirs
5. My home in DC. What an incredible time to be living here. Words can't describe the patriotism I've felt this week from President Obama's announcement that Osama bin laden has been killed. I never want to live anywhere else. For now...
Goal: Eat and drink and me merry