Thursday, March 24, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor


I haven't posted in a while, not because I've been SO busy (come on, how hard is it to take five minutes to jot something down) but I simply haven't felt like it. I've been resting and going and traveling and laughing and spending and cooking and driving and chatting and cleaning and crying and walking and smiling and working and eating and wondering and worrying. Just your average day in the life of a human. Elizabeth Taylor passed away yesterday, and I can't help but feel that she'll be the next poster decorating every college girl's dorm right next to Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. Just like Marilyn Monroe she was a sex symbol married multiple times and the center of more than one or two scandals. Like Audrey Hepburn, she played some of the greatest parts in film history as an innocent child star to an iconic Hollywood starlet (who can forget her in “A Place In the Sun”?). But she wins me over Marilyn and Audrey simply because she knew who she was and made no apologies. She could laugh at herself and knew how ridiculous she looked. She had a kind and charitable heart and an acceptance for all people. There was never a “woe-is-me” attitude throughout all the scandals and health problems. She simply kept calm and carried on. This morning’s special on the Today Show (http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2011/03/24/6333964-taylors-publicist-looks-back-at-the-stars-true-legacy) paid tribute to Elizabeth Taylor, and even though it was 8 minutes long I felt like it showed who she really was amidst all her fame and glamour- just a person. Maybe not average, but still with the same feelings we all have. Here are some inspiring and funny quotes by the late Elizabeth Taylor:

“I’m a survivor – a living example of what people can go through and survive.”
“When people say, ‘She’s got everything’, I’ve got one answer – I haven’t had tomorrow.”
“I’m a survivor – a living example of what people can go through and survive.”
"I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I'm not afraid to look behind them."
"I have a woman's body and a child's emotions."
"I've always admitted that I'm ruled by my passions."
"I've only slept with men I've been married to. How many women can make that claim?"
"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
"My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked."
"So much to do, so little done, such things to be."

And since I am suddenly fascinated by Ms. Taylor, here is a lovely article from Gene Seymour http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/23/seymour.elizabeth.liz.taylor/index.html?hpt=Sbin

SO I'm happy for...
1. My dear fried Kris. She's almost 40 years older than me, but she is a joy to work with and has always looked out for me. She gives great advice and takes me to fabulous parties where I've met celebrities and famous businessmen and women in the District. She's single and beautiful and has more friends than you could ever imagine. She's exactly how I hope to be at her age. Fabulous.
2. I am so spoiled. Boy went away for work again, and I haven't seen much of him. I was away last weekend but we got to spend Sunday together before he jetted off. Since we have missed each other, he surprised me with flowers. Smart guy.

3. Surprises. I sent my grandparents flowers yesterday because they got some not-so-great news and I though they could use something cheerful. The voicemail they left was near five minutes long about how special it was and how much they love me. So as special as the gift was to them, the message they left me was even better.
4. Journeys off the path. This picture was from a vacation with my brothers and sister one summer in Vermont. However this shot was taken on the way there, at Mark Twain's summer house. I'll always be grateful that my parents took us to so many random places along car trips that I've seen a lot of lesser known, historical and beautiful places.

5. Girlfriends. We haven't all been together since a reunion in DC last October during the Rally for Sanity/Halloween weekend. About two months ago we planned our next reunion in Philadelphia (none of us live there but its in the middle of all our locations- perfect!). So I just got back from an incredible weekend in Philly with my best friends. We stayed at the Philadelphia Racquet Club (boy is a club member in DC so he gets guest rates at all their other locations) which was hands down the most beautiful building I've ever stayed in. Seriously. It looked like the back drop of Cruel Intentions. We pranced around Philly and ventured into The Magical Gardens which was so bizarre, COndom Kingdom, and shopping downtown before a fabulous dinner at Tweed where one of our friends' uncle is the chef. Needless to say it was a perfect weekend to be with my best friends and experience so many things we can't get afford :)


GOAL: Boy is home tonight! Yippee! Grilling and wine and bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment