Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Just Go With It



…Not just Adam Sandler’s recent box office hit. I saw this Monday with boy and a couple other friends (both boys- I was outnumbered in my preference to see a scary movie because apparently Brooklyn Decker is more appealing than Anthony Hopkins possessed as the devil). The weekend started off Friday by a relaxing night in with boy and delicious takeout from a new (dangerously 24 hour) Italian/Greek/American restaurant (salmon, steak, burgers, gyros… makes you wonder how good any one item is if they can’t nail down one cuisine type). Whenever we stay in on a Friday or Saturday, the next morning we are always shocked at how rested, rejuvenated and… bored we are! Many weekend mornings are spent sleeping in, hungover, and laying on the couch because we lack the energy to do much else. So in that case, we woke up and went for brunch and mimosas (I stuck to coffee) with friends at a local diner. I spent the afternoon shopping downtown even though I couldn’t afford to, and ended up buying ridiculous shoes that are half a size too small BUT they were the last pair and only $40 down from $180 (did I mention how much I love them?). That evening I went to Baltimore with boy to celebrate my best friend’s birthday at Brewer’s Art in Baltimore.

This bar is incredible. Its like an old gentlemans club from the early 20th century, and we sipped champagne by an old fireplace and sat on velvet couches. Ahh sometimes I think how lucky I am to prance all around DC and Baltimore sipping champagne and sitting on velvet, wearing backless dresses and silly shoes that look like $180 but only cost me $40, all with the greatest people I’ve ever met. Spoiled brat. The next day boy played his first lacrosse game of the season and his entire team and all their girlfriends went to a local bar where we all drank Micheladas, Fireflies, Gimlets and Orange Crushes (see photo at top- fresh squeezed orange juice, soda, mint and vodka mmm). That night we attempted to continue drinking at a house party but ended the night early at home watching Family Guy episodes and Bob’s Burgers. Monday we had off for President’s Day and saw “Just Go With It” before I headed home and relaxed. Boy came over later with a friend to watch the Caps game and I cooked a delicious meal of beer battered fish and brown rice with steamed veggies. It really was another great weekend.

Back to my first sentence… sometimes I feel like there has to be a plan. I have a tendency to get cranky and sometimes upset if I don’t know what to expect for the day or the evening. In my group of friends, I tend to make a lot of decisions and offer my opinion more often than not, not because I have a preference but because I hate not having a plan or direction. I think I’ve gotten better with this in just allowing things to kind of happen as they go. I’ve come to realize that when you just go with the flow and decide as you go, things work out. I’ll be the first to tell you I’m a perfectionist. Some people would say “duh” and some would think I was joking. If you look at my driving record for instance, I’m sure you’d find that Lindsay Lohan and I do in fact have much in common. My room at the moment looks like a tractor lost control in a Salvation Army. I wake up in the morning almost always late for work, with greasy hair and mascara under my eyes because I’m too lazy to wash my face at night. It took me over a year to replace my shower head. On the other hand… as bad as one area is, I’m a complete freak with other things. I won’t make my bed but I’ll spend ten minutes on the bathroom floor picking up hair with a Kleenex (hence late for work). I’ll stress out about money so I’ll spend the entire afternoon cleaning and organizing the pantry into sections of pasta, cereals, liquids, baking, snacks… (my favorite pastime at home). If I’m really upset over something, I’ll clean the entire kitchen. Some people meditate or write or call a friend when they’re sad- I clean. What I’m saying is, I have a hard time dealing with everything at once so I tend to focus on one thing, even if it’s unimportant or minute, just because I can perfect it. I talked to my therapist yesterday about this and it was like the more I talked, the more I realized that so often when I try and achieve perfection, its because I don’t want to deal with something imperfect in another area of my life. That’s when she told me something I know I’ve heard a million times, but never really attributed to my life- nothing is perfect. As soon as you accept that, you can face anything and handle anything because you aren’t setting yourself up for failure. SO my mantra for 2011 (among many others) is to realize that you can’t plan something to be perfect, so it’s best to just go with it.

Happiness Means...
1. 500 Days of Summer - best movie ever.
2. This stationary:

3. Block after Block - new Matt and Kim obsession
4. My boyfriend's Vineyard Vines sweater. I wore this with spandex and my Tory Burch flats and felt comfy and chic for a casual Saturday Brunch.
5. The new Lilly Pulitzer Spring 2011 catalog. How beautiful are these photos?






Goal - As if I haven't said it enough... Just go with it. Ooh- and give my fabulous best friend her birthday present

No comments:

Post a Comment